Friday, April 29, 2016

Welcome back!

I hope you all had a wonderful break from school! We begin a unit of poetry, both traditional and creative. We will begin working towards a day of performance as well as the creation of a literary magazine. Each day this week you will both hear a poem (performed by yours truly) and create a poem. You will have Membean as homework along with choosing a piece to learn and present which you will learn about on Monday. For those of you eager for a book to read, I will happily loan you When You Reach Me, but all other books must be returned to me first.

Monday: Spoken Word, poetry intro
Day 2: Spine Poetry
Day 3: Black-out Poetry
Day 4: Visual Poetry

Membean - 90 minutes due 5/14 - aim for 15 minutes every other day
Assessment on 5/16.

and now...a classic Jack Prelutsky poem:

I Made A Noise This Morning – (from WHAT A DAY IT WAS AT SCHOOL!)

I made a noise this morning
That I didn’t mean to make.
It truly was an accident,
An error, a mistake.
I don’t know how it happened,
But it suddenly was there,
Filled with great reverberations
That resounded in the air.


It made a strong impression
On the people in the room.
A lot of them reacted
Like they’d heard a sonic boom.
They looked at one another
As if asking, “was it you?”
They were laughing, they were pointing—
I behaved the same way too.


I couldn’t keep from joking
With the other girls and boys,
And never once admitted
It was I who made that noise.
Though I’m sorry that I made it,
From the bottom of my heart,
In a way, my brief eruption
Was a little work of art.