As we move forward with implementing the new method of covering our content for Language Arts, I am finding that we need to look beyond the immediate week, enabling you to plan your work. Over the next couple of weeks, we will cover: completion of the Tellus Expository Essay, Cumulative Vocabulary and Roots Test (units 4-5-6), completion of the punctuation/capitalization unit, conflict in literature, diagramming sentences and more.
BY NOVEMBER 12, YOU SHOULD HAVE COMPLETED -
- Turn in the Tellus Essay via Google Docs 'Share' to both Mrs. Stein and Mrs. Healan (end of L.A. Day 2)
- Take the Cumulative V&R test on either 11/6 or 11/7.
- Complete pages 267 - 286, 307-309 in Easy Grammar
- Continue working on making your punctuation cards. You will need these for the Punctuation Test which will be offered 11/21, 11/24 and 11/25.
- Be reading and annotating (with sticky notes or a grid) The Giver. Not sure what to annotate? Take a look at the PowerPoint (link is on the side of the blog).
- You will see a new journal entry on Edmodo beginning 11/3.
- You have changes to your Weebly due on Nov. 17, including a blog post ON WEEBLY, not Edmodo.
IN CLASS, I will help you plan your work.
Here is the schedule of GUIDED sessions:
11/3 - Field Trip
11/4 and 11/5 - Anyone needing assistance with the Tellus Essay will be my first priority.
11/6 - Direct Objects, diagramming, contractions (you should have completed through p. 44 in Easy Grammar)
11/7 - Helping verb phrases, punctuation clarification
11/10 - Irregular verbs
11/11 - ("A" Schedule)Conflict in literature
11/12 - ("A" Schedule)Vocabulary Unit 7
Hints for the Tellus Essay:
- This is an EXPOSITORY ESSAY. Write in third person only. See the chart of pronouns I provided.
- Follow the instructions provided to create an inverted funnel.
- Follow MLA format.
- Cite the sources of your research using EasyBib. The link is on the blog. (You need two sources.)
- When you have completed your Webspiration PREWRITING, submit your document to Mrs. Stein.
- Proofread, proofread, proofread! Use the PEP3 method for the most effective results.